Friday 4 October 2013

The Books Q and A Tag

So I saw this tag on this blog and it looked pretty interesting so I decided I would do it as it's a bit more cultural I think.




Q. What are you reading right now?
A. Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov, if you haven't read it or watched a film adaption of it then I really recommend it. It's really interesting the way it's written because you're in the mind of a hebephile (basically a paedophile but a paedophile who lusts after adolescents), so you empathize with him and if you don't understand the book then you might conceive the book to be beautiful but it's  apathetic so you can't sympathize with any one character, I already know how it's going to end because I watched the 60s film but there's a lot they couldn't get away with filming then so I'm learning a lot more about the story from the book and it adds a whole new perspective which is really interesting.

Q. Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
A. There are a few books that I want to read, I'd like to read the Great Gatsby because I started reading it but then my exams came along and I just didn't have the time to finish it, then I watched the movie when I was on the plane on my way back from America and it made me want to read it even more, I had watched a TV adaption a while ago but the Leonardo DiCaprio one is very very good. I'd also quite like to read Catcher in the Rye because I read somewhere that the man who killed John Lennon (Mark Chapman) was reading this before he shot him and I'd be interested to see whether there was anything in the book that might have triggered it, also my Dad has read it and suggested it but my Mum read it and didn't think much of it so I'd be interested to see how it is.

Q. What 5 books have you always wanted to read but haven't gotten round to yet?
A.  Frankly I'd like to read as many books as possible (with the exclusion of the twilight saga), but I suppose I'd like to read To Kill a Mockingbird because I've watched the movie and it is just one of those books that I feel I should read. Also Anne of Green Gables, Life isn't all ha ha hee hee, Pride and Predjudice (seen the Colin Firth Adaption and quite liked it), and The Fault in Our Stars which I feel I should've read ages ago and I want to read it before the movie comes out (with Nat Wolff in it eeeeep) 

Q. What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now? 
A.  I don't bring magazines into the bathroom, and my family don't really bother with magazines so we usually just have a TV guide in there..

Q. What's the worst book that you've ever read?
A. I think I've pretty much liked every book I've liked, if I've not liked it then it's because the story doesn't appeal to me but it's usually still written quite well. An example of this would be Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman, my friend bought it for my birthday telling me that I would like it a lot but it was the creepiest book I have ever read and when I finished it I felt pretty scarred so now I stick to books that aren't going to emotionally damage me.

Q. What book seems really popular but you actually hated?
THE TWILIGHT SAGA, as I mentioned before, I haven't read it actually so I guess I shouldn't judge it but from what I've read of it (short sections and the movies) I just cannot fathom why you'd want to waste your time with it - sorry not sorry.

Q. What's the one book that you recommend to just about everyone?
A. If you are interested in John Lennon then I would recommend John by Cynthia Lennon, it changed my opinions on John so much and I cried for about an hour after I finished it and for the rest of the week I couldn't think straight because I felt emotionally shattered but it was brilliant. The first book that comes to mind that isn't related to John Lennon is noughts and crosses, I've read the entire series but the original book really draws you in and I think the concept is quite interesting. 

Q. What are you favourite 3 poems?
A. I don't really have specific favourite poems to be quite honest, I love reading poetry but nothing has really stuck with me. That being said, I love the Roald Dahl poems but otherwise I don't really have favourites.

Q. Where do you usually get your books?
A. Usually amazon, the works, or waterstones

Q. Where do you usually read your books?
A. In bed

Q. When you were little did you have any particular reading habits?
A. Not really

Q. What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down? 
A. John - Cynthia Lennon

Q. Have you ever 'faked' reading a book?
A. Probably in school but otherwise no, I enjoy reading and I wouldn't want to fake it

Q. Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
A. I do like nice book covers but I judge a book on the content of its character.

Q. What was your favourite book when you were a child?
A. I absolutely loved the Horrid Henry books when I was younger but my favourite book when I was younger was probably Sleepovers - Jaqueline Wilson

Q. What book changed your life?
A.  I'd probably have to say Lucky Man - Michael. J. Fox, he's so optimistic and such a role model for me considering I tend to be more on the realist/pessimist side and I wish I could be more optimistic like him, and I genuinely hope there will be a cure for Parkinson's disease in his lifetime.

Q. What is your favourite passage from a book?
A. The only one that seems to come to mind is from The Twits - Roald Dahl
"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bare to look at it. A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” 

Q. Who are your top 5 favourite authors?
A. Louise Rennison, Roald Dahl, Malorie Blackman, Vladmir Nabokov, J.K Rowling

Q. What book has no one heard about but should read? 
A. I'm not really a book hipster so I don't  think I could say, however I used to love The Foot Book by Dr Seuss when I was younger but no one seems to have heard of that.

Q. What is your favourite book from a first time author? 
A. Most of the authors I have read books from write a few books so

Q. What is your favourite classic? 
A. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

Thanks for reading, and I tag you all to do this and please comment and refer back to me please thanks :-)

6 comments:

  1. I love reading posts like this! Great post xxxx
    http://bellamomento.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers Bess! Thanks for doing the tag - I need to check out that John book now and The Great Gatsby and Lolita are brilliant books :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked it, I was happy to see someone had done something like this so thank you! You clearly have good taste in books :)

      Delete
  3. I loved reading "John" by Cynthia Lennon, I've read it so many times! Have you read "Imagine This" by Julia Baird? It's a book written by John's sister and it's such an amazing read for anyone interested in John's life! x

    http://realityleaveslotstoimagination.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't but I'll definitely look out for it because John's life was so interesting!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting, I read every single comment and it means so much that you have taken the time to comment - you my friend are pretty darn cool.